Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Beauty of Abidjan, Ivory Coast

Further to my last blog, I am now in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, West Africa. Once again, I am here for the past 5 days for meetings with the Canadian embassy and with clients and prospective clients. First of all, the first thing that you notice when you get you from the plane is how people are - I mean, local, Ivorian people. They are actually extremely nice and helpful ... the first impression was great - as I blog before, I am a firm believer in building relationship and taking the time to have a genuine conversation. Throughout my stay here, I had the chance to meet several people. I had several meetings with the Canadien embassy here in Abidjan. These guys are doing a FANTASTIC job - they are offering incredible services for canadian businessmen. Further they are responsible for 8 countries on thebusiness development side and are responsible for 14 countries on the visas office. They are the liaison for most countries in West Africa. Once again, I would like to stress how these people are helpful on the ground - please do not hesitate to contact them if you need help in west Africa - you can reach them here .

As mentionned before, the Ivorian are extremely nice and are always willing to help. Obviously, doing business here is qutie different than back home. First of all, beeing patient is a verty that is absolutely required here. Indeed, its really similar than Latin America, (see here my blog on that topic) First of all you need to establish true relationship - discuss real things: (i.e. family, wife, soccer etc. etc.) at least for the first 15-20 minutes. I had several conversations with them on that topic and the told that trey truly believe in living the moment. Further, I can tell you that the opportunities for businesspeople are enormous here ... its incredible - For instance, the private sector are madly looking for providers of intranet and internet. I give you a practical experience, I just paid more than $CDN 8 for only 2 hours of internet... Since I arrived here, I probably paid more than $250 on internet ticket - I've asked several times for a price for the week - however it is impossible, I've been told that the maximum was 2 hours... quite frustrating and expensive at the same time... For the majority of people, Africa is quite scary, however, I can tell you that if you are genuine and that you intend to do business here - I suggest that you fly here and meet face to face - if they feel that you are genuine and truly invest and do business in their country- you will be successful !!!!

I now have to go because I am at the airport here in Abidjan and I am flying in less than 30 min. to Ougadagou, Burkina Faso. I will resume my trip next Monday by flying back to Dubai and after flying back to Ottawa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI
Its tempe business lawyer
tempe business lawyer