Monday, April 14, 2008

The magic of DUBAI!!!

As you might know, I am currently in Dubai - visiting new and prospective clients. I can tell you one thing - thie city is BOOMING and GROWING.... as my friend Adrian Salamunovich, co-founder of DNA11 would say: "the vast majority of entrepreneurs in Ottawa think small, they forgot the importance of thinking BIG!!!". Well, I can tell you that Adrian would be satisfy and happy here in Dubai. Upon my return to my hotel earlier today, I was asking myself what is so magic in Dubai? Obviously, I visited the main commercial attractions of Dubai: 7 stars hotel Burj al Arab , Mall of the Emirates (containing Ski Dubai - I really enjoyed skiing when its like 35' C. outside). You can also envision probably 50-60 new buildings in construction. What is really striking me is the rapidity of how the business is done in Dubai. Dubai is THE financial hub of the Middle East. Therefore, people fly from all over the world to have a piece of the pie. I have met this british who flew here 6 years ago and now runs 6 condo-hotel projects. (e.i. $250 millions worth of investment) - however by Dubai standard, this amount is so small and often qualify as peanut....therefore I am sure that you can imagine the rest...
The population of Dubai only is 1,4 million - 80% of people are expats. Can you imagine 80% !!! As someone told me today, the british are the one who conceive and fund it and the indians are the one building it... For instance in my hotel, more than 90% are the staff are either chinese or indian. Moreover, because of the venue of so many expats (more than 70 nationalities) it's extremely diffficult to realize that you are in the Middle East.

No comments: