Thursday, January 31, 2008

The importance of finding Mentors

Last night, It was the Season Launch of my group The Young Business Network of the National Capital (YBN-NC). During the evening, I had the chance the discuss with several entrepreneurs, few of them shared with me a big concern - they don't know where to go to find answers to their business problems. I mean, they have a group of friends, however most of them are either not in business or they are also young entrepreneurs with limited experience. I explain to them the importance of finding mentors, more seniors entrepreneurs who will help you to grow your business. And don't get my wrong, the best mentors only give you advice, they do not take the decisions for you. However, with their experiences, they are able to guide and help you. I know that these guys are out there and they are willing to help young entrepreneurs - don't forget, at some point in their careers they had the same issues that you have right now. I recommend you to ask, don't be shy, If you think that someone can help you, even if it is big CEO's, email them, call them, or try to meet them at one of their functions. Once again, don't be shy to ask, explain them that you have a lot of respect for what that they are a model for you - ask them for 10-15 min. of their time for a quick coffee. I can assure you, they will rarely say no :) This week, I had the chance to meet with 2 of my mentors, I had an issue and I was looking for advice, well they were there for me and helped me A LOT !!! I feel really lucky to have these guys around me, I think the key in these relationship is to be genuine and real - your mentors will take 1 hour per month if they feel that you are honest and genuine.

No comments: